Novel Review (The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga)

The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
Review
 
In our English lesson we had read the novel ‘The White Tiger’. However, due to the fact that I had only read about the first chapter or just an extract from the novel, I cannot base my entire opinion upon this book and therefore, I will only review the first chapter.
 My personal opinion on whether this novel is good or bad, I personally believe that this novel/book is actually good and although, other people may disagree, I liked this novel. I thought this novel is good and I liked it because it’s a very interesting book and has an intriguing storyline which had appealed to me. I thought the fact that the writer uses the term ‘White Tiger’ to describe a person’s intelligence/characteristic is very intellectual; due to the possible meaning it has behind it and in what term the writer uses it, to describe a “smart boy out of the crowd of idiotic, thugs”, as this adds a certain interest to draw audience in because we want to know how this ‘smart’ boy out the bunch, actually ends up in the future. Balram Halwai otherwise known as the main character and narrator, is this smart boy and he doesn’t want the rest of his family or other stupid people to bring him down, he wants to use his intelligence to become something greater and eventually improve the education system.
Although, I found this part of the novel interesting there was some downside to the rest. The story would continue and would change, using parallel narrative and due to this act, it had made the story boring and wasn’t my taste of a book. However, this book wasn’t something I had read before or nothing quite similar, I would normally read sci-fi books or action something like; ‘The Flash or I-Boy’ and to be honest, my personal own opinion, I believe that I would not read this book again because it’s not something I enjoy as a ‘whole’; I would most likely get bored after the first couple chapters.
On the other hand, if I had to recommend this book to someone else, I wouldn’t say it’s bad in total, just not my personal taste. However, dependent on the type of book/style you as the person enjoyed and whether you enjoy ‘Picaresque Fiction’, then I would recommend it, but I most likely wouldn’t because it’s not something interesting as a whole. BUT, this all depends on the audience and age rage the book is meant to be recommended at, because if I believe, adults would possibly enjoy this book and find it very interesting, but for the younger age and audience (mainly teenagers and below), it could be too complex or just boring, but maybe quite entertaining and may interest the older teens.
It would be good to learn something abou your usual reading habits and attitude to fiction, or non-fiction. Have these been confirmed or altered in any way by the book you read for this project?
No.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pros & Cons of a CV, Portfolio & Showreel

Advertisement Analysis

Shocking second a day - TASK ANALYSIS